Thursday, June 4, 2009

Grubbin'

Last night I made dinner for Zack and his sister, Liz. I always have this idea of frying polenta. At the same time, I always forget that submerging the stuff in oil doesn't make it crisp up. Instead it just absorbs it all and becomes a really nasty greasy goop that belongs in the garbage. Oh well. Having learned my lesson (again), I pan fried the polenta in a little butter in a non-stick skillet (which also helped improve things) over med-high heat and it came out nice and crisp on the outside and warm and soft in the middle. Yum. The rest:
  1. Saute a bunch of spinach (I am always amazed at the shrinkage) with minced garlic (I like a lot, but whatever's your pleasure) in some olive oil until wilted.

  2. Pan fry polenta rounds. I used that pre-made stuff that comes in the sausage-esque vacuum tube thing in the produce section. It was sundried tomato flavor, though not sure I could tell. Anyway, transfer to a paper towel lined plate.

  3. Almost best part: Fry eggs over easy. Two per person. If you don't know how to fry an egg over easy, watch this tutorial and start enjoying life!

  4. Spread a layer of spinach on each plate, top with several polenta rounds. Two eggs on top of those (make eggs last so they are hot!). Then sprinkle with feta and throw on some sliced cherry/grape tomatoes.

  5. Best part: EAT
I took that picture with my phone after I scrambled it all up. Sorry I don't have a fancy Nikon rebel slr digital camera that makes the food look as good (sometimes better) as it tastes. Just make this easy dish and you will be happy.

6 comments: